OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-20 10:14:17

Frank Budszuhn
Website

mySeaMap for iOS 7

Hi sailors!

As an iOS developer I have started working on an app that can display OpenSeaMap charts. The app is named mySeaMap and can be donwloaded from the Apple app store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myseama … 36889?mt=8

The charts look a bit different to what you know from the OpenSeaMap website as the app uses Apple maps as the base layer. The app is still in its infancy, more to come smile

Enjoy,
Frank

Last edited by Frank Budszuhn (2013-12-20 10:14:54)

#2 2013-12-20 10:27:21

malcolmh

Re: mySeaMap for iOS 7

I have downloaded it to try. It looks great! One downside of Apple maps is that they don't show water in many marinas and docks.

Does your app cache tiles? This is an issue when using it beyond internet connection range.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2013-12-20 14:54:46

Frank Budszuhn
Website

Re: mySeaMap for iOS 7

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, I know Apple maps have their weaknesses, as you say. Maybe one day, they'll get it right…

And no, the app does not cache tiles. I personally think that caching cannot be the answer for providing offline maps. You never know what area you actually have in your cache. I think offline maps have to be explicit, like you say you want to have a map for a certain area. As with a paper map where you have to get a chart set for your trip.

As I wrote, there's more to come. For offline maps I am looking into converting BSB/KAP-files into tiles and then loading them into the app. That way you could load quite a number of charts (NOAA, LINZ…) into the app, not just OpenSeaMap. But it is a bit of a task...

Cheers,
Frank

Board footer