OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-02 08:25:49

spithost
Website

When will the new charts be available? (can I help)

On the site it says the "current" off-line charts for PC etc are old (2011) but that new ones are expected to become available begin of this year.
Is this something I can help with? It would be nice to have some fresh charts to load in OpenCPN and preferable before the sailing-season starts ;-)

I'm mainly interested in the charts of the inlands of the Netherlands, as this is the area I travel in but I'm more then willing to perform comparable tricks for the other areas of the world.
As I presume it's mainly a selection and then conversion of a LOT of data in files that can be read by for example OpenCPN.

I downloaded all charts of the Netherlands as .kap-files last year and they have shown to be very usable allready.
If possible I'd like to have the future charts without the buoys ao have the choice to switch them on or off.
The drawing of the buoys in the .kap-files is not very usable, and for the inlands of the Netherlands, very incomplete.
I have most of the buoy-locations of the Netherlands as digital files and can project them as a layer over the chart so the buoys that are in the .kap's are "double".

Regards,
Klaus

#2 2015-03-02 18:43:36

kannix
Website

Re: When will the new charts be available? (can I help)

Hi Klaus,

did you notice my site http://kap.grade.de/inland-chart-ol2.html ?

I have no plans serving inland .kap files:
To much work generating nice and usefull bounding boxes. Might this be the right job for you?

Have a nice day, Dirk

#3 2015-06-22 08:45:25

spithost
Website

Hi Dirk,
I just saw you reply just now :-( otherwise I would have reacted much earlier. Maybe I have a forum-setting that doesn't inform me of reactions/replies ;-)
Maybe direct contact would be easier at klaus @ it-works.frl (remove spaces ;-)).

I can see on your site that it produces 3 mbtiles-files per part?
I have no idea what mbtiles are "formatwise" and if they can be used in OpenCPN as charts for example?!
Looking at the size of the resulting files, I presume that only the routes over the waterways are produced and that I would still need a "background" to be able to use these mbtiles as an overlay?
I gather that the mbtiles produced are generated based on the current data in OpenSeamap/OpenStreetmap and thus are continuously up-to-date?

For my purpose the .kap-files, like the ones that can be downloaded now, are better because they also show surroundings like cities etc as a reference.
As these don't change too much through the year, one update per year would be more then enough. As internet-availability (especially with large amounts of data) is something that isn't very usefull being underway is something I'd like to concentrate doeing when connected to a braodband internetconnection and preferably once a year. Download once and use the whole year ;-)
I don't need usefull bounding boxes (with information about scale etc) though, because they often seem to appear at places where I sail through ;-)

If there is a way to, for example make an extraction from OpenSeamap or even OpenStreetmap selecting some basic "landstuff" beside the "waterboundaries", I could probably make that extraction once a year (or more often if something major has changed).

I think myself being a quite experienced PHP-programmer so if I have some basic "leads" to start with, I can probably create .kap's (or alike) in batch and even on demand.
Not only for myself but also for the rest of the world ;-)
Those leads should be about how to approach the OpenSeamap/OpenStreetmap-database to extract data from them and about how to convert the data to .kap's somehow.

I haven't plunged into this "chartbusiness" yet because I didn't think it nessecary to do work that maybe someone else has done allready but apparently it is something that takes so much (manual) effort that the current charts are allready 4 years old and apparently aren't updated at the moment?

I'm just a "chart user" at the moment, but could become a "chart producer" if given half a purpose and chance ;-)

Klaus

#4 2015-06-22 10:31:52

kannix
Website

Hi Klaus,

my inland-stuff is not documented, yet. See http://wiki.openseamap.org/wiki/OpenSea … ter_Charts on INT-charts for some info ...

Yes, 3 files per area:
- CEMT layer (overlay waterway and bridge classification)
- mapquest layer (base map)
- seamark layer (overlay OSeaM icons etc.)

Files are rather small because:
- only up to zoom-level 15
- only corridor of tiles alongside waterways

Mbtiles:
- tiles packed in a sqlite-db, see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MBTiles

Displaying mbtiles:
- http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2560 (android)
- http://gps-32.de/gps/lang1/ (windows)

Base-Layer:
Orux allows combining mbtiles raster maps and Mapsforge vector maps. http://www.openandromaps.org/en/ makes a nice base-map

No, my inland charts are not up to date. I plan an update interval of 1-2 times a year.

Programmer's help is welcome:
I did this manually on a local workstation
- query agains my EU-CEMT mbtiles-db to get tilenames
- expand tilenames-set to a corridor
- download tiles
- pack tiles into mbtiles-files
- upload mbtiles-files

Goal shall be automatisation: In case of interest, I will dump my ideas/code at our wiki....

Hope this helps ;-) Dirk

Board footer