OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-06 22:43:49

zenfunk

OsmAnd has a very nice OSeaM visualization

Hi All,
I recently discovered the nautical map view plugin in OsmAnd. With the worldwide seamark layer it gives you a very nice offline visualization of OSeaM data. Much better than my crummy Garmin handheld GPS.

With OpenCPN also coming to Android, the days of the purpose built chartplotter on board of my boat are numbered.

Cheers,
Christian

#2 2015-11-08 22:36:46

zenfunk

Re: OsmAnd has a very nice OSeaM visualization

I got a request via email to elaborate bit more on the usage of OsmAnd on board, so here it goes:

OsmAnd is famous for its capabilities as an offline, road centric navigation app for mobile phones. Lesser known is the fact that it has nautical plugin available which shows a very nice nautical map style with OpenSeaMap data.

First Install OsmAnd itself and the nautical plugin via the Play Store. Then, within the app, the worldwide basemap, the worldwide seamark layer and your local, detailed maps.  Switch on the nautical plugin, the nautical map style and enjoy a very nicely rendered map with OpenSeaMap data. Buoys, beacons, light sectors, restricted areas, wind farms and much more- all is there.

The roots as a land based navigation app are showing clearly. No nautical units (like nautical miles, or knots), no compass course and heading information, so for planning purposes you might want to switch to something else, but for having an alternative moving map display on board, OsmAnd is very useful and gorgeous to look at.

HTH, and fair winds,
Christian

Edit: Added a link to their website smile

Last edited by Axel (2016-02-18 20:16:17)

#3 2016-02-18 20:14:17

Axel
Administrator

Thank you for this information and tutorial!
I use OsmAnd, too. It works really great for offline routing (for cars) and the seamap layer looks great.

Axel Utech, OpenSeaMap developer

#4 2016-08-22 10:22:59

trailblazr
Website

Hey,

another app available is the OpenSeaMap client for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/opensea … 10783?mt=8

I updated that one a week ago.

Just wanted to let you know,
Helge

Developer of the OpenSeaMap app for iOS (iPhone, iPod & iPad)
OpenSeaMap app on the AppStore

Board footer