OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#11 2016-02-26 12:21:41

lepipasd

Re: OpenSeaMap symbols

"in mozilla some marina tags are missing" what I mean is that in mozilla I cannot see some elements that have marina tags. How I know that these elements have marina tags? Not from the map, but by comparing the same map in mozilla, chrome(openseamap) and qgis(world.osm). In chrome I may see the icon that represents the element with the marina tag which is not displayed in mozilla nor on qgis. 

"Each seamark may be may made up from several icons." So it is a matter of styling the elements which has to do with the framework I use.

#12 2016-02-26 16:04:35

malcolmh

"in mozilla I cannot see some elements" This is still no clearer. Could you copy the full permalink of the page in question?

Last edited by malcolmh (2016-02-26 16:05:03)

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#13 2016-03-01 07:22:27

lepipasd

The area that I compare in mozilla, chrome and qgis is Aegina (port of Aegina)
coordinates: 23 25.6 , 37 44.7
http://map.openseamap.org/?zoom=18&lat= … FFFFFFFFFF

#14 2016-03-01 08:00:10

malcolmh

I see exactly the same picture in Mozilla as Chrome. The marina node did not have seamark tags, so neither showed our icon. I have now added them and the icon is visible in both browsers.

#15 2016-03-04 08:05:47

lepipasd

Dear malcomh,

After a lot of search and effort I decided that what I want is to serve tiles and use these tiles with a Javascript library (leaflet or openlayers). So I abandoned the idea of using a windows machine and instead I set up a linux machine with the ubuntu 14.04 lts distribution. Then I followed the following guide :

https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/ma … ver-14-04/

and furthermore I followed the specific guides related with the installation of postgresql, osm2pgsql and other tools needed.

Now that I have adapted this approach the styling of the map is controlled via a style-sheet  written in a language called CartoCSS which is then compiled to an xml. There exist third-party CartoCSS stylesheets which make the map look like the original openstreetmap.

Is there an existing stylesheet regarding seamarks?

Does exist a guide about cartocss stylesheets which will help me create my own stylesheet for seamarks?

Any help is welcomed....

#16 2016-03-04 08:21:07

malcolmh

The seamark layer does not use cartocss/mapnik, and I am not aware of any others that do. I use a purpose-written renderer for this: https://github.com/OpenSeaMap/renderer

#17 2016-03-04 13:08:35

lepipasd

May you provide me with some instructions on how to install and use this renderer on ubuntu 14.04?

Right now I am serving tiles (localhost/osm_tiles/{z}/{y}/{x}.png) to my web app.

Does your renderer creates tiles of the format {z}/{y}/{x}.png with the appropriate style? Or its only purpose is styling?

I have this basic script:

<script type="text/javascript">
    var map = L.map('map');
    map.setView([37.7504, -122.4425], 13);
    var basemap = L.tileLayer('http://localhost/osm_tiles/{z}/{x}/{y}.png', {
        maxZoom: 17
    });
    basemap.addTo(map);
    </script>

and a div with id map in the body of html. 

This is the base map (mentioned in an previous post). Now I have to find a way of adding another layer with the world.osm data. That means that I have to create tiles from the world.osm data. That's why I am interested in learning whether your renderer does this.

Is there a way of using your renderer along with the tile server that I have build by following the switch2osm guide? Or should I have a complete different setup?

Your advises are very welcomed.

#18 2016-03-05 08:34:57

malcolmh

The scripts that I use are in that same repository. I use OverPass, to generate world.osm, so you will have to adapt the scripts to your tools & environment. The tile directory layout is the same as for OSM tiles.

#19 2016-03-05 14:44:48

lepipasd

You mentioned that "the tile directory layout is the same as for OSM tiles". Does that mean that your scripts should be customized such that they use the tiles generated by my local tile server (localhost/osm_tiles/{z}/{x}/{y}.png) and that I don't have to generate other tiles than them? (I am taking a look to OverPass seems very interesting for what I am trying to do...)

Last edited by lepipasd (2016-03-05 16:58:45)

#20 2016-03-06 08:17:44

malcolmh

The seamark tiles are transparent tiles that can be overlaid on the base map tiles. The directory structures for both the same, so for a given base map tile {basemap_tiles}/{z}/{x}/{y}.png, there may be a seamark tile at {seamark_tiles}/{z}/{x}/{y}.png. I say "may be" as the seamark tile directory is a sparse array, only populated at positions where there are non-blank tiles.

Board footer