OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 07:13:28

skippern

OpenSeaMap iPad App

I have for some time used the OpenSeaMap iPad application, and find it quite good, with a few exceptions (and wishing for a few new enchantments)

1) The background map is too messy when arriving in big cities, etc. A more appropriate nautical background map should be found
2) Storing positions, I often browse back to the same ports, and wish to store their positions (Bookmarks, waypoints, etc), also it is nice to see how the wreckage of Costa Concordia is mapped, but going there for the start-up position is somewhat tiresome. I would like to return to last position, or to a bookmark list when starting the app.
3) Marine Profile depths should be available (though I cannot seem to have them working on the online map neither)
4) Harbour information layover should be selectable as well
5) Marine Traffic layer would be nice (instead of paying 10USD for the Marine Traffic App that uses Google maps as base)
6) Make available current, tide, weather, and maybe other live information layers
7) The ability to make routes + import/export waypoint lists

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#2 2013-01-03 05:54:59

Markus
Administrator
Website

Re: OpenSeaMap iPad App

I foreward an user question from Erwin:

> is it possible that in the ipad app the settings are not possible to edit?
> If so, is there a possibility to unlock this?
> I m trying to find out how opensea works, in order to use it on the first week of april,
> where i will make a boat trip in the neighbourhood of the ijsselmeer in the netherlands.

Markus

#3 2013-01-03 15:02:54

skippern

Erwin/Markus

As far as I can tell, OpenSeaMap app on iPad is just a browser, showing the basemap (currently OpenStreetMap Mapnik layer) with the seamark overlay. You can search locations, browse manually, or use the built in gps location. As far as I can tell from one year of experimenting with it, there is not more functionality.

I hope a future version will allow more of the functionality from the web, plus routing/track recording, etc.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#4 2013-07-06 14:19:22

trailblazr
Website

Hi skippern,

thanks for the valuable feedback. I will answer below in the text...

skippern wrote:

1) The background map is too messy when arriving in big cities, etc. A more appropriate nautical background map should be found

Well, all the information about land (not sea) comes from the openstreetmap. I will see if could provide you with some different rendering option on the next release.

skippern wrote:

2) Storing positions, I often browse back to the same ports, and wish to store their positions (Bookmarks, waypoints, etc), also it is nice to see how the wreckage of Costa Concordia is mapped, but going there for the start-up position is somewhat tiresome. I would like to return to last position, or to a bookmark list when starting the app.

Yep, sorry! The Costa Concordia default position was removed from the app with the last update. It should now always return to the last position.

skippern wrote:

3) Marine Profile depths should be available (though I cannot seem to have them working on the online map neither)

That's because the depth info is not yet there. We are working hard on providing depth information. You could try to help us if you like.
Have a look at http://depth.openseamap.org to learn something about it.

skippern wrote:

4) Harbour information layover should be selectable as well

Thanks for this wish, I put it down on my list.

skippern wrote:

5) Marine Traffic layer would be nice (instead of paying 10USD for the Marine Traffic App that uses Google maps as base)

Yeah, you could virtually add every kind of layer available on the planet. smile But this is all associated with a lot of work to make it work flawlessly and to keep it usable for everyone at the same time. We started adding weather layers in the last app update (its a PRO feature). So we started collecting experience in putting more layers on top of the map.

skippern wrote:

6) Make available current, tide, weather, and maybe other live information layers

That's not so easy either. You need some valid tidal information source. It does not help anyone to provide false data. I will try to find out where we might already have this data and try to provide some of this in one of the next updates. Again it is a lot of work even if I have a valid data source.

skippern wrote:

7) The ability to make routes + import/export waypoint lists

Yeah. You presented a really nice all in all feature list. Adding features adds to the overall amount of work for maintaning the app up-to-date and also supporting the three languages (English,German, French) we now support.

Please keep in mind, that this software is provided basically to allow you to easily access the OpenSeaMap on your mobile.

We just do not have the resources to provide all that functionality you wish above for free. It's just too much work to be done for free.

Best,
Helge

Developer of the OpenSeaMap App for iOS

Developer of the OpenSeaMap app for iOS (iPhone, iPod & iPad)
OpenSeaMap app on the AppStore

#5 2013-07-06 14:21:44

trailblazr
Website

Markus wrote:

I foreward an user question from Erwin:

> is it possible that in the ipad app the settings are not possible to edit?
> If so, is there a possibility to unlock this?
> I m trying to find out how opensea works, in order to use it on the first week of april,
> where i will make a boat trip in the neighbourhood of the ijsselmeer in the netherlands.

Markus

Yep that was a Problem with the 1.x Versions on newer iOS's than iOS 5.

This issue has been fixed with the 2.0 release.

Best Helge

#6 2013-07-06 14:24:23

trailblazr
Website

skippern wrote:

Erwin/Markus

As far as I can tell, OpenSeaMap app on iPad is just a browser, showing the basemap (currently OpenStreetMap Mapnik layer) with the seamark overlay. You can search locations, browse manually, or use the built in gps location. As far as I can tell from one year of experimenting with it, there is not more functionality.

I hope a future version will allow more of the functionality from the web, plus routing/track recording, etc.

Oh, the iPad app does not render a browser view that is a clear misconception. Just dropping in a browser view would be the easiest way but the one that would be most inconvenient for the user. Please recognize that all the maptile presentation is done natively on the device.

Aaaaaaand, yes, guys as I already answered in the other questions and wishes for more features. It's all a question of resources and time.
I try my very best and there will always be an app that does perform on this ONE specific feature YOU are most interested in better than the OpenSeaMap app. I am sure!!

Helge
Developer of OpenSeaMap app for iOS.

Board footer