OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-05 21:48:57

fusionstream

Charts for Singapore

I've added a number of nautical elements and mapped a number or rivers in Singapore waters.

However there are no downloadable charts for Singapore.

Is there somewhere I can request for a chart to be rendered or is it something I have to do myself? If so where is it available?

Cheers.

#2 2012-11-10 16:33:42

skippern

Re: Charts for Singapore

The situation is the same in Brazil, and as far as I have figured out, most of the world outside Europe as well. I do not know how good coverage is in Europe, but have noticed only downloadable maps for North Sea coast of England and Germany (have not checked further)

I have suggested in another thread a way of submitting new charts, for example with max/min lat/long, scale and INT chart number. That way, we should be able to shortly have all internationally numbered charts available for download, and maybe also nationally numbered charts. I am willing to, with time, add the entire Brazilian nautical chart series with inserts, if an interface is available to me.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#3 2012-11-11 01:31:15

fusionstream

For me it's just a matter of rendering it.

I'm trying to promote OSeaM to my "boating club" but it does nothing if there are no downloadable charts and no apparent way to do it myself.

#4 2012-11-11 11:33:59

skippern

Good luck in promoting OSeaM. My interest in this is work related in having a free (open) alternative when controlling the planned routes of my clients. If I could set out their waypoints in my map and see that all is within acceptable limits I could safely approve their work. Also having the map on a tablet makes it easier when visiting the ships and controlling their paper charts, gps navigators, etc.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#5 2012-11-11 13:51:48

fusionstream

I'd be happy to lend some computing power (TaH for OSeaM?) if that is the issue... Just show me the program.

I don't know about your iPad (presumably), but for me and anything but the online chart, I can't get below zoom 16. Perhaps as an interim solution, you could load up the area in Merkaartor or JOSM and then import a route. On a side note, if the route is unsatisfactory you would then have the added option of moving obstructions on the map instead of changing the route. lolol.

#6 2012-11-11 16:48:41

skippern

On the iPad, the OpenSeaMap app is like the fullscreen webmap, without the selectable options under the view menu, just thte standard base map with the seamark overlay.

I hope to have a proper chart display program sometime soon, either on the iPad, my cell phone or on a notebook (currently I have no notebook computer)

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#7 2013-10-17 02:20:04

fusionstream

I'm working on getting a chart for Singapore using a lot of manual labour and GPSMapEdit. Global Mapper does not seem to work as expected. I'm working on exporting an LCM file.

Lowrance has also released a tool to generate raster (and vectors maps too) maps in the AT5 project. Emails in the dev list of OSeaM suggest that Lowrance has not yet added support for OSeaM and officially has dodgy support for OSM, but there are a number of people interested in getting it to work.

#8 2013-10-17 15:21:05

malcolmh

Navico have only just started work on OSM support for their Insight Map Creator tool. I am in touch with them to assist with any issues of interpreting OpenSeaMap tagging.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

Board footer