OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-29 22:35:31

SlashV

Rendering question

As I had more or less figured out myself and also understand from this post: http://bit.ly/LpK5rH, the openseamap tiles are rendered by dedicated source code.

Is there a specific reason for this? i.e. I presume mapnik would be able to render the tiles?

The reason I am asking is, that I would consider it convenient to be able to render osm tiles including seamarks in one go. Does that make sense? Or is this quite possible and it hasn't dawned on me yet?

Thanks!

#2 2014-01-29 23:35:32

malcolmh

Re: Rendering question

There are a number of rendering requirements for seamarks that off-the-shelf renderers do not provide. In particular, the generation of sectored light arcs and radials and the assembly of INT-1 compliant caption strings for lights, fog signals, etc. There is no reason why the natural & cultural features (for which we currently use the OSM Mapnik rendering) cannot all be rendered in the same layer - it was simply quicker to utilise the existing OSM infrastructure. Bernhard's 'smrender' renderer does just this.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2014-02-03 20:00:08

SlashV

Re: Rendering question

Thanks for the explanation and suggestion. I'll have a look at smrender.

Board footer