OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-11 02:22:53

Gerryh41

G'day

Retired old codger in the South West of Western Australia.

I am setting up an old ACER E-machine Notebook as a chart plotter. The notebook is redundant having OEM Windows XP and so it was relegated to the back of a drawer in my study

I have hooked up a GPS (from TWIG Solutions in Aus) and a an operating program from gpss.co.uk so far so cool

I have limited computer knowledge - especially in this field - however to complete the tale of the project which I should like up and running with all the creases ironed out by this time next year. (was never one to rush things). I am taking the grey haired old gal on a 8 week sea cruise from Sydney to Istanbul and thought it would be interesting to follow the ship's route on a chart plotter.

I note that the charges for internet on these cruise ships is exorbitant - my first sea cruise - so my set up is non - internet dependent

The charts I see on this site would be just the ticket. So from the experts out there in cyber space I would like some advice about downloading the charts.

- do I download the whole package
- how big is the file
- I am not familiar with the various abbreviations - is there a glossary anywhere

so folks that should be enough to kick off with

Regards

Gerryh

#2 2014-04-11 11:22:53

malcolmh

Re: G'day

Gerry,

Unfortunately, the OpenSeaMap map is an on-line chart, so would require an internet connection.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2014-04-27 19:56:45

Markus
Administrator
Website

Hello Gerryh,
welcome to OpenSeaMap smile

Of course you can use OpenSeaMap offline without costs and before you start your trip.
HowTo for different devices

For Windows you need this free and opensource navigation program
The charts you need for, you can download by this program before you start your trip.

For others who dont use this navi-program:
We will provide a simple chart download program until summer 2014.
If you like to spend for implementing new servers: Donation

Attention: GPS-32 works only with Win7 or later (XP and Vista are no more supported).

Best regards,
Markus

malcolmh wrote:

Unfortunately, ...

Malcolm: your answer is wrong... sad

Last edited by Markus (2014-04-30 20:28:16)

#4 2014-04-28 00:27:45

Gerryh41

Thank you for your replies.

I do need a GPS / Chartplotter  that is independent of the internet, unfortunately I cannot use the Opensea program. That is a shame .

The sea cruises - of which I have no experience but reviewing their (extras) fees dop sharge like wounded bulls for internet connections.

I do have a GSP receiver and a program that will link charts to the GPS receiver though I am struggling to coordinate the two at the moment. These do not need the internet to run as I need them.

Many thanks

Gerry

Board footer