OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-31 23:29:43

KayaknJim

How to find the right tags for map entries

Hi,

I'm a nube here. I'd like to start by entering all the lights, buoys and channel borders at the Richmond Long Warf (near
San Francisco, USA). I think I have the buoys figured out, but where do you find the tags for the edges of shipping channels? In this area there are two intersecting channels with a turning basin. Also there is a sewer outfall marked on the chart with two lights to mark it. To further complicate things the edges do not describe a closed polygon - at one end the channel is open into the bay, the other it is open into the port of Richmond. 

So, quickly, these are the questions:
1)how to find the right tags
2)how to introduce text to describe the names of the channels
3)will the linetypes follow once I get the right tags?

Perhaps there is a tutorial that I missed. If so a link to it would be appreciated. Unfortunately I don't read
German.

Jim (KayaknJim)

#2 2014-09-01 02:00:44

KayaknJim

Re: How to find the right tags for map entries

Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is a link to the part of the NOAA chart with the features that I want to put into Openseamap <ftp://porcine.com/temp/RichmodLongWarf.jpg>
Note the sewer outfall and the outlines of the shipping channel. The turning basin is not specified directly on the chart, only in the notes.

Our kayaking club got a 5-blast warning from a tanker when we were traversing the turning basin a few months ago. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Jim

Last edited by KayaknJim (2014-09-01 02:04:36)

#3 2014-09-01 08:09:46

malcolmh

Jim,

Welcome to OpenSeaMap! (I am an ex-San Francisco resident). The starting point for information on our tagging is our pages in the OSM Wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open … Tag_Values. Follow the links to the the Object and Attribute pages, which in turn link to more detailed pages. I take it that you are familiar with JOSM? We have a plugin SeaMapEditor which can be installed from the preferences pane.

I also have all the NOAA ENC charts and a tool for converting them to OSM format, so if you want I can send you either the tool or else extract selected data from the charts and send you the output. Email me & we can organise this.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#4 2014-09-01 16:56:03

KayaknJim

...Email me...

Easier said than done. My email is jimham <AT> porcine.com. I like to see if I can extract the info from an ENC, it will probably be a lot easier than transcribing it from an RNC chart.

#5 2014-09-01 18:37:37

malcolmh

Easily done as well - just click on the "Email" link in the left hand column against a poster's reply. Anyway, an email is on its way to you.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

Board footer