OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-06 19:57:42

skippern

Adding cut lines and scale for new downloadable charts

Is there a way of suggesting new downloadable charts? I have the max/min lat/long and scale of about half of all charts published by the Brazilian DHN (directorate for hydrography and navigation), which I also have as about 600 BSB/KAP files (including plans, snippets, etc), some of these are INT charts (internationally common numbering)

Is there any interst in adding such info in any way? Any particular format of this information? Any place to send this?

PS for those wondering, these data is importable, and I am about 1/3 through the data availlable.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#2 2012-11-10 17:29:48

malcolmh

Re: Adding cut lines and scale for new downloadable charts

What we ideally need is an online self-service chart generator. Users should be able to submit a bounding box & file format to such a service and have it generate a set of chart files at different zooms using the latest database. Of course, somebody is going to have to write this software! Volunteers?

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2012-11-11 11:45:39

skippern

I would prefer fixed bboxes, and the download menu either give you a select option, or you could get suggestions depending on your current/last view. I don't know if there will be any benefits on server load for one or the other, though standardizing the cut lines definitely is a benefit for returning users who want to update their maps. A new map of the same chart should save with the same filename, and thus easy to replace on any unit.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#4 2014-11-08 08:00:38

Sxandy

Some maps in small scale f. ex. Suedliche Ostsee (appr.1:1mill) have no navigational information at all and the resolution when zooming in is very grainy, so it is unfit for navigational purposes in that format.
Some in larger scales f.ex. German Coast 12 (appr. 1:500000) have info adequate as a backup and then again HelsingborgMalmoe14 dos not have anything.
Is this just the state of these maps or am I missing something?

Scarlett

Board footer