OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-05 07:23:57

bnesbitt

Updates to tagging practice for marine pumpouts / casette toilet dumps

Hello,
I'm not an OpenSeaMap user, but I am working on update tagging in OpenStreetMap related to marine pumpouts / casette toilet dumps.
What's the best place to engage with the OSM community on these topics?

#2 2015-04-05 08:11:25

malcolmh

Re: Updates to tagging practice for marine pumpouts / casette toilet dumps

Bryce,

I took a quick look at your proposal. One thing I see is that there is no separate category tag for cassette emptying facilities - perhaps a "sanitary_dump_station:cassette tag is needed? These facilities are usually located in or adjacent to the toilet block and are quite distinct from the black water holding tank hose connection points.

In marinas, we have pump-outs covered in our "small_craft_facility" tagging. (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open … Facilities). In this scheme, the facility type is specified in a semicolon-separated list. So for example, at my marina there is an isolated pontoon where both fuel and pump-out are located, so this object is tagged:

seamark:type=small_craft_facility
seamark:small_craft_facility:category=fuel_station;pump-out

Also, for boat facilities, there is an implied "access=private" status as they are located within the marina bounds, & " sanitary_dump_station:suction" is, by necessity, implied as boat holding tanks are usually located below the water line.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2015-04-05 16:25:10

bnesbitt

Have a look at the "talk" page for the tag, which discusses the cassette issue (in a mix of German and English):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag: … mp_station
The German text discusses a local need to tag pumpouts that do or don't accept chemical toilet waste.  Apparently some sewage systems
can't handle the holding tank chemicals.

"seamark:small_craft_facility:category=fuel_station;pump-out" is unfortunately very non OSM format tag, and I would not propose that
as a primary tag for OSM.

----

The issue of access is important.  See the tagging mailing list post titled "One if by Land, two if by Sea".  If the feature is
rendered, RV'ers may start to show up, which could be bad.  My proposed fix is to use waterway= for water access facilities, and amenity= for land access facilities.

---
There have been dozens of different tags used for these facilities.  I've been carefully consolidating tagging worldwide, working with local mappers.
But it's not quite there yet.  Up soon are the facilities richard mapped along the CR&T canals in the UK.

#4 2015-04-09 07:09:25

bnesbitt

#5 2015-04-14 06:37:19

bnesbitt

Voting is now open on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Prop … mp_station
which could exist in parallel with seamark:small_craft_facility:category=fuel_station;pump-out;xxxxx
But fits the OpenStreetMap style better.

Board footer