OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-12 16:22:35

MargusV

Best practices for tagging buoys and beacons?

I am working on updating Estonia's navigation aids in OSM database to include tags relevant to OSeaM. Buoys and beacons are currently tagged just as man_made=buoy or man_made=beacon which is obviously not enough so all of them need to be updated.

To tag them correctly I am using public national database of navigational aids (yes, we have a permission smile) but I've got a couple of questions which I hope to get answered here.

1. All NMA-s have their IDs written to them. Also all NMA-s have official name given to them by authorities in both Estonian and English. These names are often duplicated (like 'Heltermaa kanali parema külje poi' or 'Heltermaa channel starboard-hand buoy' - there is three of them here http://map.openseamap.org/?zoom=15&lat= … 0FFFFFFFF). So I've decided to add ID number to the official name in both Estonian and English using tags seamark:name and seamark:name:en. This results in quite lengthy names which clutter the map. Is there any better practice? And is seamark:name:<language> supported at all?

2. Most buoys and beacons in Estonia are used only seasonally (there's ice during winter and buoys/beacons are removed). Which is the best practice to tag start and end of the season?

Best regards,

- M -

#2 2015-07-12 17:09:57

malcolmh

Re: Best practices for tagging buoys and beacons?

1. The "seamark:name" tag value should be as short as possible, just sufficient to enable a sailor to identify the mark. For beacons & buoys this should be the unique identifier painted on that mark, often just a number. Remember, "name" does not mean the same as "description" - a distinction that many OSM mappers often get wrong (including native english speakers!). In your example of "Heltermaa channel starboard-hand buoy", all of that information is contained in the other tags and/or the location of the mark. You should look for data that uniquely identifies a mark and reduce this to the shortest possible form. For example in the NOAA US charts you will find data such as "Los Angeles Approach Channel Lighted Buoy 6". Here, this would be reduced to "seamark:name=6". The tag "seamark:name", if not a number should preferentially be in english, unless it is a proper noun, (such as a local place name). The name:xx form is not used in our S57-based tagging - ENC charts have either "name" in english or "name_national" in the local language. We relax this rule and let the mapper decide. The important thing is that someone using the map can find their way!

2. Seasonal dating is by the use of two tags as follows: "seamark:period_start=<date>" and "seamark:period_end=<date>", where <date> is in the form of either --MM (same month each year) or --MMDD (same day each year)

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2015-07-12 17:36:47

MargusV

malcolmh wrote:

For example in the NOAA US charts you will find data such as "Los Angeles Approach Channel Lighted Buoy 6". Here, this would be reduced to "seamark:name=6".

Thank You, Malcolm, for the clarification. It is actually very logical smile. My only problem here is that there are some objects which have two numbers - ID and part of the description. It seems to me that it makes sense to omit all the information which is not identifiable on the water and it basically means that floating objects should only have ID numbers as names.

I will update objects entered by me accordingly.

By the way - can seamark:information to be used for the descriptive information?

Last edited by MargusV (2015-07-12 17:42:10)

#4 2015-07-12 18:17:33

malcolmh

MargusV wrote:

By the way - can seamark:information to be used for the descriptive information?

Yes - any useful supplementary information can be in this tag.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

Board footer