OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-18 10:39:57

zenfunk

Garmin Charts - worldwide coverage

As of a couple of weeks ago we now have Garmin marine maps with - hold
your breath- world wide coverage. The only things missing are Antarctica
and the North pole. Sailing season is just too short. The bounding
boxes are chosen to include minimal land masses but all of the
coastline of course. This makes for rather nice, smallish maps. If you
spot any mistakes please report them here and/or in the mailing list.

Wikipage with download links

Cheers,
Christian

#2 2015-01-16 09:12:10

johny59

Re: Garmin Charts - worldwide coverage

Those are indeed valuable on land, however I cannot see any nautical use - there are absent navigation lights layer, there are absent water deepths layer, there are no warning layer about explosives fields, whirls etc objects on the sea where dont come even near. Thus, I see, these maps potentially may lead me into sure death.
Or I have missed to switch on something??

I use OruxMaps engine with Garmin offline NorthernEurope, BalticSea and North maps on Android 4.3.2.2.

And adittionally, very much of android devices rely onto FAT32 file structure solely, thus the mapfile larger as 2 GB is unsopported. But Garmin maps have size of double. In my case I solved this hacking  my reader and reinstalling that with newest andro soft (loosing with this all the warranties) which supports the FAT32+ standard, means 4 GB of file size. Garmin would do brilliantly, if to cut maps in smaller patches, because well not all android users have know-how for reinstalling their global system on their device.

Last edited by johny59 (2015-01-16 09:19:05)

#3 2015-01-25 20:55:09

zenfunk

These maps are meant to be displayed on Garmin chart plotters. Sea depths is missing, but the seamarks are visible. You should file a bug report with orux maps if the seamarks are not shown in their program.

HTH,
Christian

#4 2015-08-28 17:18:31

lordlefrog

I tried to download the chart for California but the pacific north-east map has only Vancouver, Seattle and up north. Which map is the correct one?

Also can you fix the install.bat to contain the proper hex number for the maps (d80b), it is a little bit inconvenient smile

Thanks,

Benoit

#5 2015-09-04 15:02:04

zenfunk

Try Pacific Equatorial East. If it doesn't include California then please file a bug here.

BTW, if you could make a screenshot of the overview maps and post them on this wikipage:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open … rt_plotter

That would be awesome. It would prevent future users from downloading the wrong maps. I only have mobile internet and a very expensive data plan, so I cannot download all the garmin maps and post the screenshots myself.

HTH,
Christian

Last edited by zenfunk (2015-09-04 15:26:04)

#6 2015-09-07 19:50:40

lordlefrog

The pacific equatorial map contains south california (mexico part of cali). Basically most of the US west coast (oregon and cali) is missing.
I uploaded the screenshots for pacific north east, pacific north west and pacific equatorial east, so you can see all that is missing.

Board footer