OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-20 16:17:30

darryl

S57 format and editing

Hi all, I've been working on a navigation project for the last few months based on the Raspberry PI. Coming along quite well so far. I can send receive NMEA messages, read and plot S57 files, NOAA depth SHP files, tides, AIS data, routes, tracks, calculate wind, and a host of other things. I plan to put it up on Github by the end of this sailing season once I've properly tested it on the water first myself.

I have an option in the configuration to display OpenSeaMap data, as well as openStreetMap. I am currently adding features to allow easy creation of S57 encoded objects. What I'd like to do is both display OpenSeaMap data from S57 sources because vectors are just so much more darn useful than tiles, and I'd like to easily allow people to upload this data to the OpenSeaMap database.

I have not seen any way to get vector data from your database with the possible exception of Garmin. Is there anyway to get your data in S57 or some other format readable by ogr2ogr?

I also have not seen how to upload data to your database other than through your JOSM program. This would be a very inconvenient way of entering data for my application. Is there an API which would allow submitting it via JSON or some other mechanism?

Thanks,
Darryl

#2 2016-04-21 08:15:31

malcolmh

Re: S57 format and editing

As far as I know, ogr2ogr can input OSM files.

Automated uploads to the OSM database should not be done, as the uploaded data can clash with existing data. Imports do need to be done manually, carefully merging the new data with any existing data of the same objects.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2016-04-22 20:53:06

darryl

Thanks Malcolmh. Perhaps the problem is simply that I don't understand the system well enough.

I've found a single OSM XML file at http://planet.openstreetmap.org/. This is a 50GB database which I can't easily download to my platform. I cannot find the equivalent file for OpenSeaMap at all. What I'd like to do is download a geographically bound version of this file which will be much smaller. I think all I can do now is download tiles. Perhaps this is something I should be hosting myself if there are no other such servers out there. I might be able to figure out how to do that.

So your JOSM program strictly does manual online edits? I might have thought there'd be a semi automated way of doing this. Perhaps with some sort of VCS where new and small changes to existing elements might be absorbed into the database and conflicts might be held in a separate table and be flagged for later manual confirmation. 

Thanks again.

#4 2016-04-23 07:29:42

malcolmh

OpenSeaMap data is contained within the OSM planet database. If you want to download parts of the world, then go to sites such as http://download.geofabrik.de/ for pre-packaged extracts or define your own areas & download them using tools such as http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_turbo.

It is impossible to automate uploads as the planet database is being edited every minute of every day by thousands of contributors, so it is not a static target. There is no means of flagging provisional data - any uploaded data is considered final.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

Board footer