#1 2017-05-14 21:58:21

BarnettL

Mapping long-distance sea routes

I am a neophyte on this forum.  50+ years ago I completed a near circumnavigation of the globe on a large sailing vessel, Barquentine Verona, as the ship's surgeon.  I would appreciate advice on how to best prepare maps showing the ports of call on that voyage.

One map might show from Panama to Galapagos, Pitcairn,  Nuka Hiva (French Polynesia), several of the Society Islands, Palmerston Atoll (northern Cook Islands), Apia (Western Samoa), Suva, Erpiritu Santo and Tanna (Valuatu), and Samari, several Trobriand Islands, and Madang (all Papua New Guinea).

A second might show from Madang to Kaohsiung (Taiwan), Hong Kong, Bangkok, Georgetown,Penang (Malaysia), Port Blair (Andaman Islands), Madras (Chennai, India), Trincomalee (Sri Lanka), Maldives, Aden.

A third might show from Aden to Umm Lajj, Saudi Arabia, Suez Canal (Suez and Port Said), Beirut, several Aegean Islands including Santorini, Cadiz and Lisbon.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions about how to be proceed.  My computer skills are modest.  The maps need not be accurate for navigational purposes, but simply show the route traveled and, in some cases show more geographical details such as in the Society Islands.  If there is software available for such mappings I could probably figure our how to do it. 

Would I need to obtain permission to print the maps?

Many thanks...in advance...for your thoughts.

Barnett Cline
Blanco, Texas

Board footer