OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-14 08:04:25

VictorVelarde
Member
Registered: 2014-02-05
Posts: 3

Marine traffic not loading

Hi,

It seems that marine traffic layer at http://map.openseamap.org is down, from several days ago.
Can you have a look at it?

Offline

#2 2015-12-15 15:56:30

Axel
Administrator
Registered: 2015-11-13
Posts: 46

Re: Marine traffic not loading

VictorVelarde wrote:

It seems that marine traffic layer at http://map.openseamap.org is down, from several days ago.

Very bad.
I am the one currently developing this map.

As stated on our map we use the data from http://www.marinetraffic.com/.
Until now we used a public API from MarineTraffic to receive the ship positions. This service seems to be currently not available:

> curl http://mob0.marinetraffic.com/ais/de/getxml_i.aspx
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Service Unavailable</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></HEAD>
<BODY><h2>Service Unavailable</h2>
<hr><p>HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.</p>
</BODY></HTML>

I guess that MarineTraffic has shutdown this free service to take benefit of their paid services (see http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais-api-services ).
We will ask them whether we can use their data in future. Otherwise we will have to look for another provider for such information or remove this feature from our map.


Axel Utech, OpenSeaMap developer

Offline

#3 2016-02-09 06:08:24

FlavioFalcao
Member
Registered: 2016-02-09
Posts: 2

Re: Marine traffic not loading

Hi Axel.

There is a site http://www.myshiptracking.com who has live ships positions from their AIS data.

I didn't understand yet if it is completely free to use, but it seems to be !

A request like this

http://www.myshiptracking.com/requests/ … 665&zoom=7

return a set of the AIS positions and data about each ship, like JSON data, about all the ships included in the lat/long interval specified in that url.

Excuse my simple english and if my idea is not so clear.

Best regards.
Flavio Falcao

Last edited by FlavioFalcao (2016-02-09 22:24:43)

Offline

#4 2016-02-18 20:00:40

Axel
Administrator
Registered: 2015-11-13
Posts: 46

Re: Marine traffic not loading

FlavioFalcao wrote:

There is a site http://www.myshiptracking.com who has live ships positions from their AIS data.

I didn't understand yet if it is completely free to use, but it seems to be !

The site looks great, I agree.
Did you found some kind of licence or service agreement on their site?
I didn't found something like this.

FlavioFalcao wrote:

A request like this

http://www.myshiptracking.com/requests/ … 665&zoom=7

return a set of the AIS positions and data about each ship, like JSON data, about all the ships included in the lat/long interval specified in that url.

Yes this looks like usable data. Thanks for the hint!
How did you find out about this URL? Looking at the requests issued by their online map? Or did you found some api documentation?

http://www.myshiptracking.com/requests/ … =314158000
Seems to deliver details for one vessel.


FlavioFalcao wrote:

Excuse my simple english and if my idea is not so clear.

No problem ... your english is not bad. You are easy to understand.
There do you come from?


Axel Utech, OpenSeaMap developer

Offline

#5 2016-02-18 23:46:23

FlavioFalcao
Member
Registered: 2016-02-09
Posts: 2

Re: Marine traffic not loading

Hi Axel !

Thanks for your reply !

No, I didn't find any kind of explicit authorization of use (the URL request) but didn't find any prohibition either.

Also, I didn't find any api documentation.

But the site has a section called "Embed our map", which presents a page with a series of parameters you can define, like latitude, longitude and zoom level, etc and then they generate a corresponding piece of javascript code for you to put in your site.

Basically, the embedded map in the client will make the requests in the same way as if you use only the requests.

I understand the use of embbeded map is different of use only the requests to obtain data, but who knows if they would authorize  you  to use in this way if you put the credits to their site in your map ?

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil !

Thank you very much Axel !!

Flavio Falcao

Last edited by FlavioFalcao (2016-02-18 23:53:27)

Offline

#6 2016-02-19 13:22:10

Axel
Administrator
Registered: 2015-11-13
Posts: 46

Re: Marine traffic not loading

FlavioFalcao wrote:

But the site has a section called "Embed our map", which presents a page with a series of parameters you can define, like latitude, longitude and zoom level, etc and then they generate a corresponding piece of javascript code for you to put in your site.

Yes that seems to be useful.

FlavioFalcao wrote:

Basically, the embedded map in the client will make the requests in the same way as if you use only the requests.

Unfortunately not. The javascript for embedding (http://www.myshiptracking.com/js/widgetApi.js) only inserts an iframe into the site. It loads http://www.myshiptracking.com/embed?myst .
So they can differentiate between that kind of usage.

FlavioFalcao wrote:

I understand the use of embbeded map is different of use only the requests to obtain data, but who knows if they would authorize  you  to use in this way if you put the credits to their site in your map ?

Yes I will ask them.
I guess we had some kind of agreement with marinetraffic, too ... but then the shut-down this api.


Axel Utech, OpenSeaMap developer

Offline

#7 2017-07-07 12:45:04

Markus
Administrator
Registered: 2012-09-04
Posts: 70
Website

Re: Marine traffic not loading

All works fine smile
Thanks to Axel and MarineTraffic.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB