OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-30 20:55:20

jsavage

Rendering of a Preferred Channel lateral beacon

I am attempting to contribute by correcting an omission in an area I know well. The relevant node is 4415576085
This was just a light but is in fact a light on a pole that is marked as a Stbd preferred channel mark. RGR.
I made the change in JOSM and the pole is now rendered correctly in JOSM.  However, it renders as a solid red pole in Chrome on maps.openseamap.org

Is there an error in the main renderer or is there something I have missed?

James

#2 2017-10-02 05:19:53

AdVerburg

Re: Rendering of a Preferred Channel lateral beacon

This beacon was missing the information how the colour pattern (RGR) is attached. See: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/Colours
I assume here it is seamark:beacon_lateral:colour_pattern=horizontal (this should be checked / corrected).

#3 2017-10-02 10:29:58

jsavage

Ah, OK.  You are correct it is marked in horizontal bands. Many thanks for putting me straight. How long do such changes take to show?

Two observations:
1.  the JOSM editor seemed to have worked that out because it was rendering a RGR pole with horizontal bands so perhaps it is a default there but not in the main renderer?

2.  this omission of mine was not revealed in the validation process when I uploaded this change.  However, lack of an Iala-A tag was detected despite the fact that other similar objects in the vicinity do not have this tag.

Last edited by jsavage (2017-10-02 11:14:11)

#4 2017-10-03 16:15:17

AdVerburg

James wrote:

How long do such changes take to show?

Sometimes minutes, often days, but in this case I'm afraid never.
A stake with more than one colour is simply not rendered that way.
However if you (desperately) want to see the colour pattern on the map, you can dodge and change the seamark:beacon_lateral:shape to a pile. Or delete this tag at all, a default shape then is assumed.
① I have in JOSM the SeaMap Editor activated. See: http://openseamap.org/index.php?id=josmdownload&L=1 for an explanation and howto.
The SeaMap Editor plugin is very helpful to create or modify beacons / buoys / lights (and some others) with all tags completed.
② The validator (as far as I know) just checks your edits (and items connected with your edits) in this session.

Board footer