OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-23 20:35:09

Gerard

Openseamap and ENC

While I was looking around on the internet for Marine charts I found OpenSeaMap, a great iniative !

But I also know that the US was publicing free charts of there coastline in ENC format.
I now see that more and more Europeean countries make there information available to the public.

For the netherlands this is done by RWS : http://www.vaarweginformatie.nl/fdd/main/infra/enc.
It is very detailed information covering the inland waters. But very usefull
On the same page they also post links to other countries.

I was wondering how this compares to openseamap ?
Can or do we use this information or not ?

Like to hear your opinion on this.

Regards Gerard

#2 2014-04-24 06:38:43

malcolmh

Re: Openseamap and ENC

Indeed we are using this data. Much of the German WSV data has already been imported, most of the buoys & beacons from the Dutch RWS are in. The US NOAA charts have yet to be done - this is a big job and must be done carefully, as those charts are numerous and many overlap each other. Any volunteers? We will be glad to help anybody attempting this.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2014-04-24 14:30:32

kannix
Website

Hi Gerard,

most of RWS's bridge data, too: http://maps.grade.de/

If you would like to volunteer, some bridges are still missing, locks need to be added. See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Kannix/rws and send me a note.

Have a nice day, Dirk

#4 2014-12-08 09:37:48

Cassiopea

I'm quite new to yachting and as might be expected am looking at all sorts of computerised charting solutions.  I came across OpenSea and whilst it looks brilliant I'm mystified as to why there are no anchorages listed. I would have thought that the locations of good anchorages would be a primary prerequisite for any useful chart. No?  Is there some secret layer that I haveto turn on?

#5 2014-12-08 10:30:12

kannix
Website

Cassiopea, what exactly do you expect?

- your area of interest
- suggestions like 'this is a beautiful and quiet spot'
- or things like this http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open … Anchorages

Have a nice day, Dirk

#6 2018-08-09 15:52:10

benha

malcolmh wrote:

Indeed we are using this data. Much of the German WSV data has already been imported, most of the buoys & beacons from the Dutch RWS are in. The US NOAA charts have yet to be done - this is a big job and must be done carefully, as those charts are numerous and many overlap each other. Any volunteers? We will be glad to help anybody attempting this.

I realize this thread is 4 years old, but it's about the only reference I can find to the state of affairs regarding any effort to turn NOAA's publicly distributed vector (ENC) charts into an open source chart to be used instead of purchasing commercial maps.  (I have a Garmin plotter and would prefer not to pay them for maps.)

I am happy to help with this process - at least starting in California - but I have no idea where to start.  If someone can get me pointed in the right direction I'm game.

Note:  What I'm hoping to achieve here is something that represents the NOAA map on my plotter in its full glory.  All the symbols, including soundings and contours :-)

Best,
-Ben

Board footer