OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-18 12:21:58

skippern

Forum moderation and SPAM attacks

The last few days this forum have been under spam attack, and the time these spam messages stays on the forum shows that either the current moderators are not active enough, or there are too few moderators. As far as I can tell there are only german moderators, and I know little of what frequency they check the English part of the forum. IMO we should call for more moderators, in the first instance maybe make malcolm one, as he already is sort of contact between the English and German parts of the project.

I don't think I have the time for moderating on a forum in my current job situation. Any other suggestions? A moderator should be active online, and have the confidence of the community.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#2 2013-07-06 17:31:56

trailblazr
Website

Re: Forum moderation and SPAM attacks

skippern wrote:

The last few days this forum have been under spam attack, and the time these spam messages stays on the forum shows that either the current moderators are not active enough, or there are too few moderators. As far as I can tell there are only german moderators, and I know little of what frequency they check the English part of the forum. IMO we should call for more moderators, in the first instance maybe make malcolm one, as he already is sort of contact between the English and German parts of the project. I don't think I have the time for moderating on a forum in my current job situation. Any other suggestions? A moderator should be active online, and have the confidence of the community.

Yep. As far as I know there are only a handful of moderators. The forum was for some time under spam-attack and nobody could do anything, so I think we lost some of the moderators during this time. i hope they come back as soon as they recognize the forum is back online.

I try to answer all the questions everytime I give the forum a visit. I was very busy updating the OpenSeaMap app lately so I lost track of the forum somehow. But now I found some time again to have a closer look.

Best,
Helge

Developer of the OpenSeaMap app for iOS (iPhone, iPod & iPad)
OpenSeaMap app on the AppStore

#3 2013-10-19 09:10:21

dom

With this new forum I hope we'll have much less SPAM attacks and therefore less moderation work.

If someone is interested to moderate the forum, let us know.

#4 2013-10-19 10:57:21

trailblazr
Website

Hi!

I am back as a moderator and will have a close look regularly. I hope we can use the forum now as it was intended for all kind of questions from people using OpenSeaMap. Great the forum is back alife!!

Helge

Developer of the OpenSeaMap app for iOS (iPhone, iPod & iPad)
OpenSeaMap app on the AppStore

#5 2014-07-11 13:52:28

last_navigator

The forum is under spam attack again!  Please, moderators get on this!

#6 2014-07-11 14:18:33

malcolmh

I also reported those spam posts yesterday. Our admin will hopefully soon ban that user & delete the offending posts.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#7 2014-07-12 20:04:52

last_navigator

I think we need more admins...

#8 2014-11-10 08:03:29

kannix
Website

Would like to become an admin:
Newest trend, picking an old topic and littering this with a quote from an other post, really is annoying ...

Have a nice day, Dirk

#9 2014-11-10 08:10:13

malcolmh

I delete these as I find them. Please use the "Report" facility to notify me of any that you find.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

Board footer