OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-16 08:23:39

skippern

Signboards

In Brazil bridges are marked with signboards to show where one can safely pass. I wonder what is the right tagging for this.

It should be a green square with white border (or actually a green rectangle inside a white rectangle) on port hand (when following buoyage) and a red triangle inside a white square on starboard hand

I am wondering how this should be tagged. I see my attempts renders strangely here: http://map.openseamap.org/map/?zoom=14& ... FFFFFFF0FF

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#2 2012-12-16 11:59:15

malcolmh

Re: Signboards

Are these signboards listed in http://ienc.openecdis.org/files/Inland_ ... _2_3_4.pdf? (See pages 272-274). If not, do they look like any of the signs in: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open ... OpenSeaMap?

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2012-12-16 14:17:22

skippern

I have not studied the Inland Waterway document to detail but they are defined by Brazilian Maritime Law in document NORMAM17

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#4 2012-12-16 14:58:36

malcolmh

OK, I have downloaded a copy of these regulations. I take it that you are referring to signs shown in ANEXO F ?
It seems that the Brazilian notice marks have direct equivalents in the CEVNI regulations, so what I propose is that you use the same tags, but with an additional "seamark:notice:system=bniwr" tag. When I get to it, I will generate new symbols & rendering rules that will render these alternate symbols.

#5 2012-12-16 17:57:25

skippern

Except for two or three symbols, all Brazilian symbols have a CEVNI equivalent, I don't remember where I saw the list of symbols and ECDIS S-57 syntaxes (edited: Inland_ENC_Encodig_Guide_Edition_2_3_4.pdf Annexes AA - AE), as far as I remember of that list all of RIWR and all exept a two or three symbols have CEVNI equivalents.

So how should these signboards be tagged?

I take it as:
seamark:notice:system=bniwr
seamark:type=beacon_special_purpose
seamark:beacon_special_purpose:shape=board
seamark:beacon_special_purpose:category=notice

But which actual values to set on seamark:notice:category and seamark:notice:function?

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#6 2012-12-16 18:19:44

malcolmh

Most notice marks can be tagged as stand-alone entities. Although they are often fixed to posts, there is no need to tag this post as beacon unless it carries other navigational significance.
Therefore:
seamark:type=notice
seamark:notice:category=...
seamark:notice:system=bniwr

will be sufficient. For the category values, see: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open ... tice_Marks

These will render as CEVNI notice symbols until I make the BNIWR versions & modify the renderer.

#7 2012-12-17 19:27:22

skippern

BNIWR have a "reduce_speed" instead of "speed_limit", there are no defined speed limit set, though I have not yet figured out if it actually means "no_wake". I see from iENC that it have a different defined code than "speed_limit" and "no_wake", so I think it should be added as a different value altogether

Same also, there are an "alignment" signboard, but there is nothing mentioned about this in iENC, nor any equivalent in CEVNI

In PPWBC there is the same signboard for "move_to_port" and "move_to_starboard", the definition in NORMAM17 (The Brazilian Maritime Law about Signalization) is "Change Margin/Bank", iENC states them same as CEVNI move_to_port and move_to_starboard with alternating impacts "upstream" and "downstream"

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#8 2012-12-18 16:05:47

JMcA

I am seeking the best way to indicate a zone where speed is restricted to 5kts (or 5 MPH).

I have tried tagging w/ a notice as:

Seamark:type=notice
Seamark:notice:category:speed_limit=5
seamark:notice:function=regulation

This tag combination produces a blank dark blue square w/ a red border, but no "5".

What's lacking to make it render properly?

Thanks!

Jim

#9 2012-12-18 16:42:54

skippern

There is at least one missing variable there, seamark:notice:category=speed_limit

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#10 2012-12-18 18:32:52

JMcA

Thanks for your reply.  That seemed to be a move in the right direction.

With the added tag as you suggested I now have these tags ( and no others) attached to a node:

Seamark:type=notice
seamark:notice:function=regulation
seamark:notice:category=speed_limit
Seamark:notice:category:speed_limit=5

This renders as a white square with a red border.

Still no number, however.  There must still be a missing component?

Thanks.

I'd also like to ask if anyone has successfully used  Seamark:type=obstruction on an area way?  I want to indicate a shoal.

Board footer