OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-06 12:13:07

boat_alexandra

New to OSM -- cannot find tools

I installed josm upgraded and enabled the SeaMapEditor plugin and restarted.

Now I am looking for some tool so I can put in depth soundings, and moorings etc.. and I cannot find anything.

I also tried dragging some of the items from the seamap editor window to the map and nothing seems to work.

Any help please?   I'm new to this today.

#2 2014-07-06 12:39:12

malcolmh

Re: New to OSM -- cannot find tools

First, please do not put any depth data into the OSM database - we a have a separate database under construction for this. No doubt the developers of this will gice you more information.

As for editing, the procedure is as follows:
1. Open the SeaMapEditor tool.
2. Create a node in the map window.
3. Select this node.
4. Using the SeaMapEditor, select the object type & other attributes using the buttons, text boxes & menu items.
5. Click "save". This will add the appropriate tags to the node.

If you are new to JOSM it would be worthwhile spending some time learning how to use its basic operations first.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2014-07-06 19:56:35

last_navigator

Hi boat_alexandra.  If you are new to OSM I implore you to get comfy with working with live data before you jump into the deep end.  It is very easy to balls something up then upload it to the main server.

The openseamark tools are under 'tools' (it is the last option on my tools list).  If you click the OSeaM(openseamap) button, a window will open with a bunch of options.  You then create a node where you need one then use the OSeaM window to assign the tags you need.  This tool makes placing navigational buoys a trivial task.

I have just finished the first draft of a chart for my local tidal estuary, I have surveyed where the chart makers never dared to go!  Our local community harbour group has been putting out the navigation buoys and I have been making the chart.

Just ask more questions as you need to.

zoom in to see the estuary in all her glory!

#4 2014-07-07 08:52:28

boat_alexandra

Thanks for the replies.  I got it working.  Don't worry I won't upload anything until I have a better hang of this.

Where can I find more info on the depth data?  How is it handled?  Where is the discussion for this?   I'm really interested in user depth data along with channels etc.. and some way to download the charts in s57 format, because the kaps are just huge.

#5 2014-07-07 10:39:08

malcolmh

Try posting a question in the "Water Depth" topic.

S57 export is a project on my list, but it unlikely to be ready until early next year.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

Board footer