OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-12 14:09:10

ActiveCaptain

Greetings from ActiveCaptain...

Greetings!

I'm the developer and co-owner of ActiveCaptain.  I'm quite interested in finding ways of providing our incredible worldwide database of boating knowledge into the OpenSeaMap project as well as using the OpenSeaMap map data within our free apps - the ActiveCaptain Companion for Windows, Mac OSX, iOS, and Android.  We're currently using MapQuest maps and they're pretty bad.

I hope we can have some interesting discussions.

Cheers!

Jeffrey Siegel
President
ActiveCaptain

#2 2014-08-13 08:29:51

malcolmh

Re: Greetings from ActiveCaptain...

Jeffrey,

The OpenSeaMap on-line map uses the standard OpenStreetMap tiles for our base map and overlay our seamark, harbour, etc. layers to make the composite map. If you want an alternative to MapQuest, then the OpenStreetMap tiles are freely available. See: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_servers. Our overlay tile server is also listed there.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2014-08-13 11:54:40

ActiveCaptain

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a little confused about using OpenStreetMap offline.  I was using it previously and our volume is too high - they turned off our app's ability to download additional tiles.  We have a very large user-base.  Do you know of a way to use OpenStreetMap's tiles without limitation?

#4 2014-08-14 08:56:47

malcolmh

I don't know the answer to this. Try asking this question directly to one of the OSM mailing lists. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists

Malcolm Herring, Developer

Board footer