OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-07 14:03:46

zenfunk

New Base Layer

Hi all,
I think this probably has been thought of before, but I couldn't find it somewhere else. I'm proposing a new, purpose built base layer. Currently we are using the default OSM Mapnik style. IMHO, this has several disadvantages. First, the sea itself is not transparent. So if we want to add a depth layer it cannot contain areas of non- transparent color, or it will cover up basemap features that are over water. One example of this can be seen in the .kap files done by Kannix. The depth layer covers up all the marina pontoons, breakwaters and stuff. If the sea would be transparent, we could put the depth layer under the basemap and all is well. The second problem I see with the current base layer is that they are way too cluttered. A seamap should focus on the sea. The current basemap takes the focus away from the sea.

There was a discussion about that in the mailinglist a while back about exactly that:

http://sourceforge.net/p/openseamap/mai … sg30122180

At the end there was talk about using the openriverboatmap- style. This probably would be a good start...

Is there still interest in this? Is this somewhat addressed in the new renderer Malcom is working on?

Any thoughts,
Christian

#2 2015-07-07 14:36:25

kannix
Website

Re: New Base Layer

Hi Christan,

we should just offer different base-layers (quite simple using open-layers, oruxmaps, gps32 ...).
One might think about rendering an additional INT-style base layer (http://www.abenteuerland.at/smrender/).

They all have pros and cons, I switch styles a lot while traveling along inland waterways.

Have a nice day, Dirk

#3 2015-07-08 01:36:19

zenfunk

We definitely should have several baselayers. The current one is very good at showing general- non nautical stuff. I just think that an additional base layer with more nautical focus would facilitate a lot of stuff for us. An INT- style base layer would be nice since a lot of mariners are already familiar with it.

Is there an interest in implementing something like that?

Cheers,
Christian

#4 2015-07-08 07:01:20

malcolmh

I agree that we should have an INT1-style base layer as a user-selectable alternative to the default OSM map. To that end I have included this capability in my new renderer. You can see some test samples here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensea … p/download.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#5 2015-07-08 10:46:22

zenfunk

Malcom, this is fantastic. It is exactly what I had in mind. Good job!!!!
Is this part of your seamark renderer, or a certain Mapnik style just for the base layer, or how does it work?

Cheers,
Christian

#6 2015-07-08 11:13:22

malcolmh

This is my new renderer, that is still under development. It does both base layer and seamark layers so that it can generate a complete map. The rendering rules are split into two groups, base & seamark. Rendering can be invoked to use either or both rule sets.

The base layer part is complete and ready to go - it just needs a competent web programmer to incorporate it into the online map.

#7 2015-12-15 17:56:04

Axel
Administrator

malcolmh wrote:

The base layer part is complete and ready to go - it just needs a competent web programmer to incorporate it into the online map.

Where can I find information about this? Are the tiles available somewhere?
I would like to integrate this into the map.

Axel Utech, OpenSeaMap developer

#8 2015-12-16 09:15:23

malcolmh

Axel wrote:

Where can I find information about this? Are the tiles available somewhere?
I would like to integrate this into the map.

No tiles have yet been generated, as I need a home for them. My idea is to make a complete global set of zoom-9 sized SVGZ tiles. These can then be scaled to the viewer's current zoom level. This tile set would occupy around 50GB of disc space. The new Alpha server would appear to be able to accommodate this. Do you see this as a viable scheme?

#9 2015-12-20 11:06:47

Axel
Administrator

malcolmh wrote:

My idea is to make a complete global set of zoom-9 sized SVGZ tiles. These can then be scaled to the viewer's current zoom level.

Do you have experiences with using that tiles with OpenLayers?

malcolmh wrote:

This tile set would occupy around 50GB of disc space. The new Alpha server would appear to be able to accommodate this. Do you see this as a viable scheme?

Yes that sounds great!
Feel free to add the data in a new subdirectory under /var/data/tiles ! We have enough free space there.
The server is currently available under http://t1.195.37.132.70.xip.io/ .

Axel Utech, OpenSeaMap developer

#10 2015-12-20 11:15:55

malcolmh

Axel wrote:

Do you have experiences with using that tiles with OpenLayers?

No, I know nothing about web programming.

Axel wrote:

Feel free to add the data in a new subdirectory under /var/data/tiles ! We have enough free space there.

I have created an initial data set & will upload it. All the tiles except two (int1base/255/165.svgz & int1base/256/165.svgz) map to dummy blanks.

Board footer