OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-11 11:13:42

posthein

How to download off line maps on iPhone?

This seems like a dumb question among all the other topics, but I am not very  good in computer things.
I cannot find how to download maps on my iPhone for off line using. Where can I find the manual for that?

#2 2016-08-22 10:34:09

trailblazr
Website

Re: How to download off line maps on iPhone?

I do not know if there is an iOS client which does provide full offline maps yet. The issue is with the amount of data you need to download to be completely offline. Since we still use bitmap graphics and no vector tiles (OpenGL 3D rendering) which needs much less data... the available solutions are a compromise between amount of data and freshness of the data.

The iOS client I updated one a week ago suffers from the exact same issue. But when reconsidering the caching strategy I went again with the approach to cache what you have looked at on the chart.

You can try out the result here:
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/opensea … 10783?mt=8

I would really wish I was able to provide vector tiles but we are not there yet. This will come sooner or later because it has lots of advantages over bitmap tiles.

Until then… I think we are doomed to live with a compromise.

regards,
Helge

Developer of the OpenSeaMap app for iOS (iPhone, iPod & iPad)
OpenSeaMap app on the AppStore

Board footer