OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-01 22:53:26

joakimsk

Language barriers

Hello everyone,

I am a big fan of OpenStreetMap, but I am also an avid diver who love the sea, an area not really covered by OpenStreetMap. This is why I have an interest in OpenSeaMap.

However, I am having a difficult time with the language being a mix of english and german on most sites, some information only existing in german. It also goes to my main interest, being logging of water depth, I see that the hardware logger can only be ordered if you live in Germany, which I, sadly, do not.

I believe this is an important question that should be considered, is there a specific reason for the most parts of the website, and the Openseamap project, to be in German, and not English, by default?

Does anyone know if it is possible to order a hardware logger that I can test out, if I live outside Germany?

What is the general status on the OpenSeaMap project, which areas are being worked actively on, while others are more dormant?

What can I do to help, and everyone else who are sitting on the edge, ready to jump in and help out?

Thanks, looking forward to your reply

#2 2017-06-02 12:20:12

gpsangler

Re: Language barriers

Hi joakimsk,

On the problem of understanding German, even on "mixed" websites, why not try Google Translate, a free Chrome extension?

It works well for me, try it on this web page http://wiki.openseamap.org/wiki/Depth_Data

If you have a depth sounder and laptop on board your vessel, there's no reason why you can't record water depths with what you already have. No need to purchase anything. There are just a few things you need to keep in mind whatever route you take. The two major ones are:

i) The vessel must be as perpendicular to the water line as possible.

ii) The recorded data must be at LAT - Lowest Astronomical Tide. Calculated on board with a free software product named Wxtide32.

If you would like to pursue this option, make another post on the forum index "Water Depth" and we can discuss it.........

Cheers for now,

Graeme

Last edited by gpsangler (2017-06-02 12:43:44)

Board footer