OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 07:04:47

skippern

More Nautical Reader friendly background map

I find the use of OpenStreetMap Mapnik layer as a background map very color poluted and messy, specially when arriving at ports in big cities. It can at many occasions completely obscure the nautical objects, even when laid over as OpenSeaMap does. I think it is about time somebody looks into making a more appropriate nautical background map. I am willing to offer my expertice in creating a style sheet, and have for some time been experimenting with MapCSS. If anybody have hosting available, and can install a rendering engine using MapCSS style sheets, than we should have our own nautical background map for OpenSeaMap in relatively short time.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#2 2012-11-05 09:29:09

malcolmh

Re: More Nautical Reader friendly background map

We have recently set up our own base map renderer/tileserver. Now that we have this we are in a position to modify the Mapnik stylesheet to improve the appearance of the combined base map and seamark layer map. This is work in progress.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2012-11-05 12:01:00

dom

Currently we have the following components running:

• Apache mod_tile

• PostgreSQL (minute update)

• Mapnik 2 (with OSM style)

• Tirex (rendering queue)

This setting is very stable. I'm not averse to use MapCSS, but it has to be stable and fast. A few questions from my side:

• How does a server setup for MapCSS looks like?

• Are there any big installations in the wild?

• What about performance?

• Is there a PostgreSQL connection adapter?

I think we should discuss these technical things on the develop mailing list [1].

Best regards,
Dominik

[1] http://wiki.openseamap.org/wiki/Hauptse ... ling-lists

#4 2012-11-06 19:41:08

skippern

I have tried to read a Mapnik stylesheet, and find it very complicated, if you are to rely on that kind of stylesheets, than my help will ONLY be with input and suggestions here.

I am not much into the technical apect serverside, but on the MapCSS documentation on the openstreetmap wiki mentions several different renderers, in different programming languages running on different operating systems. Each of them probably have their adventages and disadventages.

There is an instance of MapCSS implemented in JOSM which allows for  a good extent of offline testing and debugging where one doesn't need to wait fortiles to re-render or force update tile rendering to see if latest chinges in the stylesheet will be successfull or not.

I guess that the MapCSS implementation in JOSM will be too slow for a server pushing the entire world, but I have clearly seen the force and flexibility in MapCSS. I have also given my input in suggesting grammar to ease the process of making our stylesheets, though with a few exemptions, there is not much I feel missing at current time.

As to wether there is a PostgreSQL connection, check the various renderers, I believe some have the ability to connect to  GIS SQL, while others read source datafiles in .osm.xml format.

I'll try signing up for that mailing list, so we can take this discussion there.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#5 2012-11-07 08:57:54

malcolmh

Before I started work on my seamark layer renderer, I explored MapCSS and the various renderers that use it. I decided not to use any of these because they were all development projects and not finished products like Mapnik & Osmarender. Also, the MapCSS specification is still under development. This means that some implementations have made their own extensions to cover shortcomings (e.g. the JOSM implementation).

For all its complexity, Mapnik is far superior.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#6 2012-11-07 17:30:55

skippern

As long as OSeaM decides to work with Mapnik, I'll happily give my input, though I want do any work on the style sheet. I will continue to play around with a MapCSS stylesheet, so in the future if a transaction from Mapnik to MapCSS comes up I will have a workable sheet.

Don't lose any sleep over my MapCSS work, I do that of my own interest, though I do not offer too much time in it. My attention at the moment goesto a JOSM tagging preset and paint style (there we have MapCSS again)

Anyway, no matter what language style sheet that are chosen. I think it is much better to strip everything down, and start building the layer from down and up. Instead of what some have mentioned in the mailing list discussion to start removing from OSM mapnik proposed highways, traffic lights etc, I think it is better to wipe the map, and building it upwards. When the entire map is in a friendly color (such as navajowhite used in many published nautical charts), and let us build up from there. I think nobody will find it strange if the entire "mapnik" disappears from OSeaM, replaced with something that really enhances the nautical objects. Remember that the purpose of a seamap is to guide seafarers between ports, avoiding dangers, instead of finding where you can buy flowers to your girlfriend, or where to watch a movie....

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#7 2013-11-06 15:17:46

kannix
Website

Setting opacity to e.g. 0.4 in openlayers might help a lot. Example http://www.grade.de/osm/

Have a nice day, Dirk

Board footer