OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 07:51:38

skippern

Possible Stylesheet conflict with Landmark and Light

After marking air obstruction light on a communication tower in Belém, Pará Brazil (see link: http://map.openseamap.org/map/?zoom=14& ... TFFFFFFFF0 ) I discovered a possible conflict when using landmarks and lights. On the map snipped you see the westernmost light (white light, just east of the cardinal buoy) is the Belém lighthouse tagged as a light_major, while the easternmost is a communication tower with air obstruction lights (red light). This renders completely wrong, as even with the higher intensity of the air obstruction light, the light house should be more dominant for navigation.

Currently, the style sheet will render any landmark (where seamark:type=landmark are used) with light as big lighthouses, instead of their respective landmark symbols with a light on it.

Any landmark which are lit in some way can mistakenly be rendered as light houses. IMO there should be done a cleanup, either removing landmarks from seamark:type=landmark (which is logically wrong), or move all lighthouses tagged as landmark to seamark:type=light_major or a new seamark:type=light_landmark - such a cleanup will require quite a lot of manual flitering even if it is the one way or the other.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern
Master Mariner, MWS, Marine Consultant

#2 2012-11-03 08:55:48

malcolmh

Re: Possible Stylesheet conflict with Landmark and Light

The various INT1 renderings for landmarks can be invoked by adding either or both "seamark:landmark:category" and seamark:landmark:function" tags. I will document these in my current updating of the Wiki.

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2012-11-03 09:54:46

skippern

In other words, changing the seamark:type to light_minor and  seamark:landmark:category=tower, I will get a tower with a light on?

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#4 2012-11-03 12:12:10

malcolmh

The correct tagging will be:
seamark:type=landmark
seamark:landmark:category=tower

The lights are rendered as a result of the "seamark:light..." tags, so these stay the same.

#5 2012-11-03 12:51:00

skippern

So than seamark:light:category=air_obstruction should tell the renderer that the object is not a lighthouse, and override the HUGE star, and print the tower symbol instead

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

#6 2012-11-03 18:13:04

malcolmh

The base symbol set is always determined by the "seamark:type" tag. Therefore to render any of the landmark symbols, a "seamark:type=landmark" tag is required. The huge star is only rendered if a "seamark:type=landmark" is not accompanied by either a "seamark:landmark:category" tag or a seamark:landmark:function" tag. For the tower symbol this would be a "seamark:landmark:category=tower" tag. The "seamark:light:..." tags do not affect the base symbol, only the rendering of light flares, light sectors and light captions.

#7 2012-11-05 05:35:38

skippern

Thanks Malcolm, time to go through my preset definitions to make sure I set the appropriate "seamark:landmark:category" and/or "seamark:landmark:function" tags on all landmarks.

A. Johnsen aka Skippern

Board footer