OpenSeaMap Forum

For new registrations: Please create and activate an account. Afterwards send an email to forum.openseamap@gmail.com including a short message and your username to get write access to this forum. Thanks!
Für neue Registrierungen: Bitte erstelle einen neuen Account und schalte ihn frei. Anschließend sende eine kurze Mail mit deinem Nutzernamen an forum.openseamap@gmail.com um Schreibzugriff für dieses Forum zu bekommen. Danke!

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-15 20:37:18

windydick

Scale

Newcomer, just registered, of course go to a bit of water I vaguely know - Harwich Harbour.  Scale seems to show 1 nm as 1' long, not lat.  Have I missed something, am I an idiot, or is there a pretty fundamental error here?

#2 2012-11-15 23:40:44

malcolmh

Re: Scale

Yes, this is a long-standing bug. I believe it is a Mercator projection issue (or rather, the projection correction is not being applied). The trip planner distances used to have this problem, but that was fixed.

BTW, if you are out on the water in Harwich, could you check out the lights, beacons & buoys around the new Felixstowe terminal? Since it was built no new survey has been done.

Regards,
Malcolm

Malcolm Herring, Developer

#3 2012-11-16 10:27:10

windydick

Re: Scale

Thanks for confirming I'm not losing my marbles.
As a newcomer, this seems pretty fundamental and does little to inspire confidence.
Two suggestions;
1 Turn the scale vertical and link with grid lat interval (you can tell I'm not very technical)
2 Delete scale altogether and let users work from lat grid.  Much better have no info than incorrect info.
Very much a fair-weather leisure sailor, not likely to go near Felixstowe terminal til next May, and then prob keep well clear. More lkely to be able to help with River Deben and Walton Backwaters buoyage.

Board footer